Sunday, March 8, 2009
5 good reasons why I am important are that I am a home for many species including humans, medicines, food, the climate and flood prevention.
- As for the homes, there are 40-75 percent of the worlds species living with me. There are 67 tribes of people that live in me with very little to no contact with the rest of the world.
- Much of the my plants have not been tested for medical purposes.
- Sugar, banana and other fruits, many different nuts, spices, rice, cocoa and coffee are a some of the foods that we originally discovered in me.
- I am a great helper to the surrounding areas. I release moisture into the air, which falls as rain somewhere else, keeping the water cycle going. Without the moisture I release there would be less rain which could lead to deserts to form.
- Finally I help to soak up a lot of water and release it slowly which stops the rivers from flooding yet keeps them flowing when there is less rain. When I am cleared away from rivers, the chance of flooding increases because I cannot soak up the rainfall before it gets to the ground.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
I support MILLIONS of different species of animals, plants, fungus and more. Some of the animals that live with me are tigers, jaguars, leopards, elephants, monkeys, gorillas, squirrels, bats and pigs too, thousands of different birds and insects. There are HUGE trees that make up most of my body where many of the animals live. Many of them grow fruits that the animals eat. There are also many different types of fungus that helps keep the soil healthy for the trees. Many different types of mushrooms are in the jungle.